We posted an article about the most important home prep item for the winter a couple weeks ago. While yes, that is very important. There is another VERY important home prep tip for you to do to ensure your home is safe going into the colder months.
One Christmas 5 years ago, a family in Stratford, NJ woke up to open presents. They went downstairs, turned on their Christmas tree, and decided to turn on their fire place. What they did not know was a bird nested in their chimney. This caused all of the soot to back up into their home causing a massive puff back.
Once a year, make sure to have a chimney and fireplace company service your home. This will help to reduce nightmare situations like the one mentioned above.