There is a major misconception between water damage and how/when/if it creates mold. Some of the answer is simple, however other aspects are little more difficult. We are going to attempt to break it down in bullet points so it is easy to take in. Below are some facts and misconceptions about mold:
- Mold does not begin to show until the 48-72 hour mark following a water damage. If there is mold present at your home following a water damage, then it is from another source.
- Mold grows at a logarithmic growth rate. That means it doubles every time it grows.
- The mold you see is not the part that is toxic. Mold produces micotoxins that if inhaled by humans could be toxic.
- Not everyone is allergic to mold. You could have 5 people in an environment and only a few show symptoms.
- Just spraying bleach on mold will not cure it. Mold is not cured. It becomes dormant. Once it is under control, cleaned, and dormant you can seal it in to prevent it from spreading more.
- Not all mold is harmful to humans. If you see mold in your home, you should contact a hygienist to test and see if it is harmful.
- One way to ensure you keep mold and mildew under control in a damp space is to utilize a dehumidifier.
There are so many more facts and information on mold. The most important thing to have is our phone number. We can schedule to have a specialist come and inspect. They will create a scope of work and remediate the mold in your home. Don’t wait to mitigate! Call us today!